Sports 2018 World cup Football/Soccer discussion thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Luke, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Luke

Luke

Pocky:
    1,099℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 1 / -0
    Hi everyone we can discuss football/soccer here XD

2. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    2,124℘
    Ratings:
    +407 / 12 / -11
    My Atletico Madrid won today with a 91st minute winner, and honestly, I feel like this may be the start of turning the season around. These types of wins are absolutely vital, as we are going to get an injection come January with Costa and Vitolo. It was a weak performance overall which is still concerning as it has been the case nearly all year long (either the performance is there but the results are not, the results are there but the performance is not or neither the results or the performance are there, and it's just shitty, that's the story of the year so far). Still, a win is a win, against Deportivo la Coruna, a tough place to win in, so I'm happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke

Pocky:
    1,099℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 1 / -0
    Here is hoping you can improve sooner rather than later ha ha alos you have Costa in January returning.

4. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    2,124℘
    Ratings:
    +407 / 12 / -11
    I mean, objectively, given the performances the results haven't been abysmal. There are a number of big time wins and draws that should have had the opposite result by all accounts, so part of me wants to say we've done well turning dust into diamonds so to speak. But La Liga is too competitive to drop more than 30 points across the season in order to compete for the league.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas

Pocky:
    2,857℘
    Ratings:
    +197 / 10 / -0
    Anybody else disgusted with USA and their failings?

6. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    2,124℘
    Ratings:
    +407 / 12 / -11
    While I understand the frustration, I don't think it's catastrophic. Football/Soccer has never been a huge thing in the States, and while you guys probably should have made the World Cup, you've also overperformed for a while now. I've no doubt there have been systematic failings, which need to be addressed, but ultimately I don't think it's terrible.

I know what you're feeling. In 2008, England failed to qualify for the Euro's, losing a home match to Croatia to end it. That was catastrophic. The reason being, we breathe football here. It's a huge part of our culture, maybe more so than anything else. Particularly where I grew up, in a working class background, EVERYONE has a team. They may only occasionally follow them, but everyone can name a number of football players for their team, and everyone understands it. The issue is, despite the sport being perceived differently, quite similar for both us and the USA.

The league.

The Premier League is the biggest league in the world. That's a fact. I like La Liga's focus on technical ability, but it still follows (or at least, it did) the model of disproportionately providing TV revenue to the top clubs to keep them rich while the other clubs scrap for funds. The issue is that for the Premier League, the cost of relegation is so high clubs need to do everything they can to stay up. That's why the experienced Premier League veteran gets the nod before the young English hot gun. In the US, the MLS has become a retirement home for former stars who want one more day in the sun.

I could go on about this, but I don't think it's getting fixed. Neither regulator cares as long as they make money, and there is too much involved to make the fundamental changes needed. But at the very least, you guys have other sports you're good at. We live football, and it's disgraceful how bad we are at it.

7. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Pocky:
    2,215℘
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / 2 / -2
    My team madrid did amazing last week against Las Palmas.
    Asensio's goal was incredible!! Too bad Ronaldo didn't score but his assist was really good for Isco. Casemiro, his header was awesome!

So excited for real vs atletico. It's the perfect game for CR7 to make his come back :D

8. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    2,124℘
    Ratings:
    +407 / 12 / -11
    I, for one, am dreading El Derbi. Ronaldo tends to play well against us, and a loss to Real would really cut confidence even further. Especially as I think we then face a must-win game against Roma straight after. We haven't lost domestically yet, and I don't want to start this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Pocky:
    2,215℘
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / 2 / -2
    Ronaldo has been out of shape since the start of the league. But you guys should hold your head high even if you lose. It'll be your first loss and against rivals which isn't bad. We had a pathetic week against Girona.
    If Madrid lose this match we can kiss the la Liga title good bye.

10. Dazai

Dazai

Pocky:
    2,173℘
    Ratings:
    +925 / 20 / -8
    If United don't win today then the Premier league is already over and that would suck so hopefully Mourinho can pull one over on pep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    Here to discuss about UCL and UEL draws (the latter upcoming)

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Pocky:
    2,215℘
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / 2 / -2
    I only keep track of UCL.

The draws for the last 16 just came out. My team Real Madrid shouldn't have any difficulties with PSG imo.

The matches to lookout for will definitely be :

Juventus vs Tottenham
    Barcelona vs Chelsea
    Man united vs Sevilla

These 3 should be really interesting

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    Indeed. I think PSG is overrated. They have many top players but the sinergy of the team has yet to improve before winning the Cup

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dazai

Dazai

Pocky:
    2,173℘
    Ratings:
    +925 / 20 / -8
    Well saying you wont have any difficulties is ridiculous. This is going to be the closest game without a doubt.

my predictions~

Winner Loser

Barcelona v
    s Chelsea
    Manchester City vs Basel
    Manchester United vs Sevilla
    PSG vs Real Madrid
    Liverpool vs FC Porto
    Besiktas vs Bayern Munich
    Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk
    Tottenham vs Juventes

PSG vs Madrid will be close but Madrid wont go anywhere in the UCL this year. PSG are looking a lot stronger than them atm, Porto could upset Liverpool, Munich might beat Besiktas, Roma vs Shakhtar could go either way. All the others are obvious.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    I hate Juventus, I simply hope this happens for real :thonking

16. Dazai

Dazai

Pocky:
    2,173℘
    Ratings:
    +925 / 20 / -8
    Why do you hate Juve?

17. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Pocky:
    2,215℘
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / 2 / -2
    I agree, Madrid have had a tough season in la Liga, while PSG are surely gonna win the title in ligue 1. But I don't see them losing to PSG. In fact the close games should be Barcelona vs Chelsea and Man united vs Sevilla. To me close games are the ones I can't really picture a winner. But with madrid vs PSG. I can see Madrid taking the win. See them come out on top :D

I agree with the Tottenham vs juventes result. That too would be a close game. But I can see Tottenham winning.
    I honestly don't know much about besiktas so can't comment on them much. But Bayern with the addition of James should be much stronger than last year.

The other teams I don't care much. But your predictions for Barca vs Chelsea and Man U vs Sevilla are interesting. Let's see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    I was born in Napoli :hhh

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dazai

Dazai

Pocky:
    2,173℘
    Ratings:
    +925 / 20 / -8
    Well it's not just in Ligue 1, PSG also completely dominated the group stage until they lost the 6th game away to Bayern. PSG scored the most goals of any team in the group stage. Game is a tough one to call but I'd bet on PSG.

Man U vs Sevilla wont be close at all. It'll be very very easy for Manchester United to win by 5 or more goals in the home leg and probably get an easy 3 - 0 away leg win.

Chelsea don't stand a chance against Barcelona unless they make some big changes in the January transfer window. Right now they're losing to the teams in the relegation zone of the premier league e.e Even then though Barca look way stronger than Chelsea this year.

I mean Besiktas aren't amazing, they could definitely be the surprise underdog team who gets to the semi-final or something though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lindltaylor

Lindltaylor

Pocky:
    2,215℘
    Ratings:
    +1,226 / 2 / -2
    I haven't kept track of Sevilla but judging from the la Liga table I'd say they're doing about the same as Madrid. So it will be great to man united beat a team of sevilla's calibur.

You know what would have been great? Man City vs Barca. I would love to have seen that match. Honestly not many teams in the world can match Barca.

• Like Like x 1