Forum Game Dante's Delight

Discussion in 'News & Offtopic' started by SirDante, Feb 3, 2018.

1. SirDante

SirDante Section Moderator

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    Welcome! I have been running Choose Your Own Adventures style forum games for quite a while and I've yet to truly get one to run to a complete and resolved victory. So every once in a while I try again! This is yet another one of those attempts.

Here's how it works. I will write out prompts to which you guys are free to respond to or make choices as a group. When I see a decision is complete I will respond to that decision and we will progress. Should you require more information from the prompt you're free to ask questions before making a choice!

Its simple really. The most important thing is to have fun with it and see if we can survive! :D

Feel free to tag anyone you think would enjoy playing. There's no limit to the number of people who can play, or if you just want to read along that's fine too! You can jump in and out at any time so there's no commitment. It is just a storyteller (myself) plus the audience (everyone reading and posting along). Let's go!

Post #1
    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one. You look across the street, at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need. Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last time if you are doing the right thing. The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone.

Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one. A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets. “Where to?” You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips. “Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.”

TIME TO DECIDE STATS! Its simple.

Strength (STR), Constitution (CON), Power (POW), Dexterity (DEX), Appearance (APP), Size (SIZ), Intelligence (INT), and Education (EDU). Allocate the following values among them, 40, 50, 50, 50, 60, 60, 70, 80. This will customize our character for our story. These stats will determine a lot of how you can interact with your environment. Now the higher the number, the better the stat!

To decide a stat all you have to do is say, 40 to Size. Please restrict yourself to one stat per poster unless I say otherwise. This way we will get more people to make a decision rather than just trying to post a whole stat list.

Here is what the stats mean.​
    1. Strength (STR) measures the raw physical power you can bring to bear.
    2. Constitution (CON) is a measure of the health and hardiness of you.
    3. Power (POW) is a combination of force of will, spirit, and mental stability.
    4. Dexterity (DEX) is a measure of your physical agility and speed.
    5. Appearance (APP) measures the physical appeal of you.
    6. Size (SIZ) reflects your combined height and weight.
    7. Intelligence (INT) is a rough measure of your cunning and ability to make leaps of logic and intuition.
    8. Education (EDU) is a measure of the knowledge that you have accumulated through formal education, or the venerated “School of Hard Knocks.”​

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    1,830℘
    Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -10
    Intelligence = 70

3. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    1. Strength (STR)
    2. Constitution (CON)
    3. Power (POW)
    4. Dexterity (DEX)
    5. Appearance (APP)
    6. Size (SIZ)
    7. Intelligence (INT) = 70
    8. Education (EDU)

Stats remaining - 40, 50, 50, 50, 60, 60, 80

4. Chapter Master Wakka

Chapter Master Wakka

Pocky:
    635℘
    Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    60 To Appearance

5. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    1. Strength (STR)
    2. Constitution (CON)
    3. Power (POW)
    4. Dexterity (DEX)
    5. Appearance (APP) - 60
    6. Size (SIZ)
    8. Education (EDU)

Stats remaining - 40, 50, 50, 50, 60, 80

6. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    80 to Power

7. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    1. Strength (STR)
    2. Constitution (CON)
    3. Power (POW) - 80
    4. Dexterity (DEX)
    5. Appearance (APP) - 60
    6. Size (SIZ)
    8. Education (EDU)

Stats remaining - 40, 50, 50, 50, 60

If you have already picked you may pick again.
    @Ratchet
    @Finalbeta
    @Tajie

8. Snekhs

Snekhs

Pocky:
    3,324℘
    Ratings:
    +1,129 / 9 / -0
    HYPE

40 to Size

9. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    1. Strength (STR)
    2. Constitution (CON)
    3. Power (POW) - 80
    4. Dexterity (DEX)
    5. Appearance (APP) - 60
    6. Size (SIZ) - 40
    7. Intelligence (INT) - 70
    8. Education (EDU)

Stats remaining - 50, 50, 50, 60
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 4, 2018 ---
    1. Strength (STR) - 50 (average)
    2. Constitution (CON) - 60 (little better than average)
    3. Power (POW) - 80 (Excellent!)
    4. Dexterity (DEX) - 50 (average)
    5. Appearance (APP) - 60 (little better than average)
    6. Size (SIZ) - 40 (smaller than average, short light weight)
    7. Intelligence (INT) - 70 (gifted)
    8. Education (EDU) - 50 (average)

Due to the rest of the remaining slots being 50, they are auto filed.

10. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    60 to Constitution

11. Snekhs

Snekhs

Pocky:
    3,324℘
    Ratings:
    +1,129 / 9 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
  13. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

SIZE CHECK. Size >40 FAILED (This is an example of a check. Our size was not greater than 40 therefore we failed this check.)

You struggle for a few seconds before the driver comes up beside you and lends a hand, still puffing on his cigarette. “Heavy bags for a small ‘un,” he remarks. You judge it best to respond with a simple thanks. The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone. Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.

The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one. The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.

DEX CHECK. Dex random roll. Random roll = 44 which is less than our 50 SUCCESS!

A desperate yell awakens you. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. You grab hold of the seat in front, just in time to prevent a painful fall. The coach stops with a thump. Now you see what has happened. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and your driver has had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle. He leaps from his seat into the road, unleashing a string of curses at the farmer. You take a moment to catch your breath. Perhaps you should offer assistance? But the driver has already returned. He backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.

You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times. “Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?” The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere. You introduce yourself as Alex. A common name for a 24 year old male. The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty. “Going to Arkham, eh? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?” The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life. “A job eh? What’s your line?”

What is our profession?

Antiquarian
    Doctor of Medicine
    Journalist
    Private Investigator
    Professor

14. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    1,830℘
    Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -10
    Private Investigator or Journalist? I think they suit our stats pretty nicely.

15. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    This is a great example of a choice that is best to discuss as a group. You can make your selection clear to me as the host by simply putting your choice in bold at the top of your post. I'll give the thread a little while before I take an answer.

16. Snekhs

Snekhs

Pocky:
    3,324℘
    Ratings:
    +1,129 / 9 / -0
    They both sound like fun. Private investigator may have access to more data but Journalist maybe has a broader range of possible experiences. I'd pick the private eye personally.

17. Finalbeta

Finalbeta

Pocky:
    2,876℘
    Ratings:
    +419 / 62 / -7
    Basing myself on gut feeling it's either Investigator or Professor but I'll look into it more accurately

18. Ratchet

Ratchet

Pocky:
    1,830℘
    Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -10
    Yeah, I'm with you. Has that "mystery genre" feel nailed on too with the Investigator.

19. SirDante

Pocky:
    1,404℘
    Ratings:
    +364 / 10 / -0
    I enjoy this more active character creation than just asking you guys for stats or just giving you a sheet. Its more fun this way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Snekhs

Snekhs

Pocky:
    3,324℘
    Ratings:
    +1,129 / 9 / -0
    I just hope we don't die within 5 pages in a gruesome sudden way :D